Thursday, February 25, 2010

StrangeBeautiful Volume 2 - Yellows & Browns


I, like Flint, went a little SB happy when Bergdorf offered them up on 30% discount. You may recall that my bff gifted me with Volume 1; I rounded out my collection with 2 and 3.

Like w/ my Volume 1 swatches, I've broken this set up into 2 groups of four each.

I'm not as happy with the colors in Volume compared to the other 2. It's certainly on the strange side of things (which I like) but there isn't enough variety.

Yellow

(2 coats)

Formula is a wee bit thick on this one. This isn't sunshine, banana, or even egg yolk yellow. This yellow seems to have a touch of orange and brown in it. I'd describe it as the yellow in the center of a daisy.

Brown

(2 coats, 1 coat ring)

Omg, I'm loling forever at the color of this. Whyyyyy. Honestly, who would wear this? I imagine this would look even worse on white people. It's a shame really because this has a formula I really like on it; thin, but controllable. It dries shiny, but unfortunately slowly.


Putty 1

(2 coats)

I was sort of annoyed by the next two. They are just. Soclose. Having swatched it, I quite like this color however.

Putty 2

(2 coats)

The formula on this one was shockingly different. Where 1 was thick (like Yellow), 2 is thin (like Brown). This one takes forever to dry. 2 is certainly more chic than 1, but I actually think I like 1 on me a little better. Am I wrong?

I've done a comparison swatch of the 2 Putties from Volume 2 and the putty from Volume 3.

(Index Volume 3 putty, Middle Putty 2, Ring Putty 1)

Lol I think it looks like I've done a very careful ombre mani.

Like this? Click below to let us know!

12 comments:

gildedangel said...

Those are great colors!

D:) said...

Gilded - Really. I think they're pretty terrible in this batch. Are we looking at the same brown.

SalvagedExpression said...

I shouldn't like these colors. They're just plain wrong. That said they're so unique that I think if you wore them with utter confidence and the right "I look great without trying." outfit they would look quite chic.
I actually frankened a similar yellow recently and I still kind of want this one. Ugh!

NY*NAIL*DIVA said...

I ACTUALLY LIKE THE BROWN ONE! GREAT SWATCHES

yardsticks 4 lunatics said...

I agree - maybe next time, SB.....
these may need to be in the "franken this" bin...you do a great review, though....honest.

*I am very fair skinned (white) and these would be horrible on me.....maybe I could pull off the yellow...but, eh.


:B
~Tiffani

The Glitterati said...

I like Putty1 on you better as well. The Yellow is so happy... French's mustard yellow, maybe?

mKat said...

I really love the first yellow... it seems so welcoming and the hint of orange makes it a lot warmer than most yellow cremes I've seen.

LOL @ your comment about the brown. I think I'm inclined to agree with you. I think it's a nice enough brown but for a piece of furniture or something. I'm not sure what sort of skin tone it would compliment.

Heidi said...

I think the yellow and putty one are colors I wouldn't mind having in my stash. I might have to poke my eyes out to get that brown outta my head, though.

D:) said...

Salvaged - Unique is the word. The yellow is very creamy!

NYND - I defy you to wear it.

Yards - Wait for tomorrow's batch. There are some gems.

Glitt - YES exactly! French's mustard. *debates about editing the post*

mKat - It is very very warm indeed.

Heidi - It is truly something worth explaining. Why. WHY.

razberiswrl said...

I kind of like the brown! It looks very warm toned ... *bets it would look pretty good with her pink toned skin* :)

I love the unintentional ombre, lol.

Arrianne said...

That brown reminds me of Dry Martini, No More War, Swamp Thing, etc. Just wrong, it looks like...diarrhea...

Beck said...

Do you know what that brown color looks like (at least on my monitor)? The old, defunct Tan M&Ms - the ones they got rid of when they introduced the blue M&M eons ago.

Related Posts with Thumbnails