Saturday, April 24, 2010

NOTD: My 3rd attempt at water marbling


My first 2 attempts yielded unsightly results.
  • Attempt 1 was done before MSLP's AMAZING video tutorials. It was awful plus I chose red and white. It looked like I had peppermint candies on my nails.
  • Attempt 2 didn't work because I thought when you marble a light and dark color. Use the light color as the base so it pops. But that's not necessarily true. I found that I should have used the less pigmented color as the base. I swirled a well-pigmented but light pink $OPI w/ YDKJ (which needs 3 coats). I put the light pink on bottom and the effect was muddied b/c the YDKJ was translucent against the pink.

Attempt 3.


I used Zoya's Trixie and a Strangebeautiful. I did a base w/ 1 coat Trixie because it was the less pigmented of the two polishes.

Now I have to work on my swirl technique.
  • Don't smudge your polish (see pinky)
  • Make sure you get enough color swirl on the nail (see ring)
  • Choose one swirl technique and do that for every nail otherwise it doesn't match (compare thumb with any of the others)


Like this? Click below to let us know!

16 comments:

Annelie said...

I think this looks amazing! I love the effect of a glittery polish combined with a creme. I don't think point 2 and 3 are that important - since you're only using two colours, the look is kept together even if the swirls are a bit different from each other. I think the ring is a nice contrast. The fact that they're not super-identical makes the manicure look very alive and keeps it interesting. I love it!

Laura said...

That is a gorgeous combo!

:o)

aaminahs mom said...

you know i like that if i where to try that technique i don't think i would want them to be anything but the same color each nail looks original bet folks will say "thats is cute/different" i really like the color combo

Lacquer Ware for Tips and Toes said...

I love that combo

Steffie said...

Just beautiful. Love the combo

Alison said...

What a beautiful combination, I love it!

ShortAndSweetNails said...

This is so good! I love it.

The Frankenerd said...

Those are so completely lovely!

Skulda said...

AWESOME!!!

zuzu said...

Silver and pink great combo!

rmcandlelight said...

Very pretty :)

nailsbeautiqued.blogspor.com

Eva said...

OMG i would have never thought of that combo it looks amazing!

mKat said...

Piff this looks stunning! Great job!

Piff said...

Annelie - You showed me the silver lining!

Laura, Aaminahs, LWfTaT, Steffie, Alison, Zuzu, Eva - I'm glad you guys like the combo!

SaSN, Frankenerd, Skulda, rmc, mKat - Thank you!

Sandi said...

Annelie's right. The variance is what makes it look original rather than mechanically reproduced. Good job! The colors are quite flattering.

kellie said...

this looks AWESOME!

Related Posts with Thumbnails