Saturday, February 20, 2010

Tardy for the Party


So last night I was watching the Olympics when Essie Mint Candy Apple arrived at my door (from a swap)! I felt compelled to try it out, so I applied it on the couch in the dark (so please excuse the application). I know I'm a little tardy for the party on this one - it's from Essie's Winter Collection and was a huge hit last season! I just saw it as more of a spring colour and didn't really think about it much until I started to think spring pastels...

This is my first-ever mint green, and probably my last - this just doesn't seem very 'me'. I do love the Mid-Century Modern vibe that this colour is giving - its a blue mint-green, but on my nails....ehhh.....




As far as application goes, I was seriously impressed!! Usually these pastels are a pill to apply and I've heard a lot of people complain about the formula, but I had no problems (especially seeing as I applied it on my couch, in the dark, balancing my hand on my knee with the bottle clamped in between my splayed fingers....). It had good coverage in one coat, flowed nicely but didn't come even close to cuticle-flooding. In two it was perfect and even. I think I like it better in the bottle than on me - it dried more than a smidge darker on my nail than in the bottle.

On another note - I think Essie bottles are just so cute! I'm great at whittling down the OPIs and other brands in my collection, but I have a hard time getting rid of Essie's - they just fit so nicely together in their little bin...how can I take them away from their brothers and sisters?!

See, look! Adorable:


Mint Candy Apple (R) is posing with Put a Ripka Ring On It (M) and St. Lucia Lilac (L).


What do you guys think of this colour? Have you hopped on the mint-green bandwagon yet?

kittytokaren


Like this? Click below to let us know!

12 comments:

Paige said...

I actually really like this color, I think that it looks really pretty on you!

Crystal Polish said...

I do not think you should judge all the mint greens so quickly. We own quite a few and did a comparison swatch recently with this polish in it. Here is the link to that post

http://www.crystalpolish.com/2010/02/drugstore-adventures-and-color-raves.html

Maybe it will have a mint green on it that you enjoy? Hopefully. Mint green is one of my favorite colors. :D

Stephanie said...

I'm not a huge fan of Mint Candy Apple myself, but St. Lucia Lilac is one of my very favorite Essies (and I have a lot of favorites). I just bought China Glaze Refresh Mint, and I think that'll be my last mint green. I'm getting a little sick of the trend, to be honest.

Laura said...

I'm not over mint yet, but I tend to fall behind in trends. I plan to purchase CG Re-fresh Mint as part of my spring haul. I actually like Mint Candy Apple against your skin, but I understand if it's just not for you. :)

kittytokaren said...

Hi Ladies!! Thanks for the compliments!!

@Crystal - I think this one is pretty good against my skin tone so its probably as good as its gonna get. I think the colour family just isn't for me....oh well! Not everything makes everyone happy! There is other stuff for me!

@Stephanie - Yes! I love St. Lucia Lilac! One of my many Essie favs as well. Essie gets such a bum rap and I have no idea why.

@Laura - Thanks! I think it does work pretty decently with my skin because it has quite a bit of blue in it, but yeah just not "me". I'd be happier wearing something else I think, but I want to give this a bit of a chance!

kelsealaurel said...

Love it!!! I really need that color. Or at least another mint green color. It's so spring-y!

mKat said...

I have to say that mint and I (pastels in general but mint specifically) do not get along. I think it looks wonderful on other people and I actually think it looks quite nice against your skin but it would be a mess on me! I am having a hard time getting on board the pastel wagon. The only thing I could see myself using pastels for would be to do gradients or to stamp Konad patterns (on the rare occasion they stamped well).

It vaguely reminds me of the photos I've seen of MAC's Peppermint Patti but I've never seen it in person so I could be waaaay off.

Anonymous said...

I like Mint Candy Apple, but I mostly use it with Konading. Wild At Heart from Color Club looks AMAZING over it :D...so I do designs over MCA, because on its own, its just not interesting enough for me.

kittytokaren said...

@kelsea - it is springy! Which ones do you already have? Which is your fav?

@mKat - I seem to be good with most pastels (ahhh being so pale it hurts) but I really don't think I'm getting along with this one! :(

@gigglingmonk - (love the image your nickname gives) I must be the most boring polish-wearer ever to you!!! haha! I've yet to try konad!

<3 kittytokaren

Grace said...

This is also my first (and probably only) mint green (I don't really consider Essie Greenport a mint green, which I guess it might technically be, but to me it's more blue-green). I didn't pick it up until a few weeks ago and it was fun to have on for a few days, but I'm not sure if I'll be wearing it again.

kittytokaren said...

@Grace - Yeah I felt the same way - I think you and I have really similar taste in polish! We should have a party. it was kind of cool to have it on for a day, but I looked at it and I can't imagine being in that "mood" again! I don't count Greenport as a mint either - that's one green I've been wanting to try!

<3 kittytokaren

Arrianne said...

I have this too. I like it a lot, but I'm a little unsure on how it looks on me too.

I love the little Essie bottles too. I remeber when I got my first Essie and I couldnt stop looking and holding the bottle. They're so little and pretty.

Related Posts with Thumbnails