Friday, September 24, 2010

Essie Jelly Apple


It's my mom's birthday today! In honor of that, I'd like to share her all-time favorite polish with you.  I originally posted this on Little Music Boxes for Mother's Day, but I couldn't wait to share it with you now.

We moved here when I was seven.  I'm originally from New York (about an hour north of Albany), but since my dad used to be a mailman and he couldn't stand delivering mail in the snow, we moved "out west" back in 1987.  I commend my parents for making such a difficult decision to move away from all our relatives (who all pretty much still live back east).  I couldn't imagine packing up one's entire life and moving clear across the country and away from everybody you know.  It must have been really scary.

My dad had a job set aside for him at the post office here so my mom, sister, and I used to bring him to work in the morning (we only had the one car) and we'd pick him up in the evening.  I'm sure my mom was looking for work, but I remember that first summer here was spent running errands, hanging out at the apartment pool, and trying to get to know people.

My mom had always bitten her nails.  When we moved out here, my mom decided to treat herself to acrylic nails.  I remember going with her to the nail salon that very first time.  She chose a bright red polish and she loved it so much that she bought a bottle for herself.  To this day, it's her favorite nail polish and she's probably gone through more bottles of it than I could ever go through.

So what's the name of that polish?  It's Essie Jelly Apple!  So today I decided to swatch my mom's favorite polish for you.  I used four coats of this vivid red jelly and whenever I see it in my collection, I instantly think of my mom.  This picture was taken in the shade.


This next picture was taken in the warm, evening sun.  Sorry about the fingerprint smudge on the bottle!  I usually try to wipe those off before snapping photos.


My mom still gets acrylics and she sometimes branches out to other colors of polish, but her go-to favorite is Jelly Apple.  My mom doesn't read nail blogs, but I still wanted to share this little bit of my life with you.  It's a good memory of mine.  :o)  Happy birthday, Mom!


Like this? Click below to let us know!

13 comments:

Feline Flodin said...

I can't believe I swapped my Jelly Apple away! To the infamous MM! O.o Having huge regrets... It's actually a quite unique red!

JQ said...

This is a great post! My mum doesn't polish her nails anymore but her fave flower is the daisy, so every time I see them I am instantly reminded!

Such a pretty red! I have Lacquered Up. It's the only Essie I've got so far but I hope to collect more soon!

Megan Harmeyer said...

Wowee this is a great red!! I gotta get my hands on that color.

Konad-licious said...

This is one my of my fav reds and it was also my first Essie too.

The Phalanges Friend said...

Aww, happy birthday to your mom!
And I love this color...I've been hunting for a great red jelly, and I'm sure this is the one. I just can't find it anywhere. :(

sarah @ sparkly paints. said...

Weird coincidence: I'm also from near Albany (I live about 20 mins away) and I also have a parent who works for the postal service (my mom!) Funny :-)

Also, obviously, gorgeous as always :-)

Aurora's Nails said...

Happy birthday to your mom!

What a perfect jelly! Love the color, and the finish! It's beautiful :)

Piff said...

I love this polish but it just doesn't work on warm skin.

tasha~ said...

Awww this post is adorable! This red is AMAZING love it! Its soo pure

P'ssion Emelie said...

Aww...I love reading posts like this. I can totally see why this became your mum's favorite. It's a lovely red.

Susy said...

That's a gorgeous red!! And nice post, I enjoyed reading it! :D

Libby's Pink Vanity said...

Essie Jelly Apple is da bomb! And I don't usually like Essie.

Lucy said...

Thanks for sharing your story. I think it makes the blog much more interesting when there's some personality in the writing. I don't mind nail photos at all. I just like to know the bloggers. Makes it more fun for me to read. This is a beautiful red! I have to get a bottle. I worked for the Postal Service and I worked inside not as a letter carrier. God bless them for the hard work they do. People only comment on how nice it is to be outside in the beautiful weather. They forget the fog, rain, snow, ice and super hot weather. Hope your Mom had a wonderful birthday.

Related Posts with Thumbnails