Sunday, February 5, 2012

How to drive a manicure over the edge: Orly Rock Solid... with LA Girl Inspire... with Color Club Smash Hit


This is what happens you're lazy and easily bored like I am. Let this be a lesson to you all. 

Orly Rock Solid

Part of Orly's Mineral FX collection, it looked so promising in the bottle. Black with strong silver shimmer and a heck ton of holo glitter. HECK TON. Yet it was kind of flat (and somewhat gritty) on the nail. The black shimmer ate the glitter almost entirely. Three coats. 

Closeup of Rock Solid


LA Girl Glitter Addict Inspire over Orly Rock Solid 
But I really wanted a glitter manicure that day, yet was loath to take off Rock Solid. So I decided to try out one of the LA Girl Glitter Addicts on top of it. (Btw, that collection was the most disappointing LA Girl collections ever but we can discuss that another time.) There seem to be two types of pink glitter: magenta and this old-fashioned rosy pink that seems to be the go-to pink glitter. Inspire was the latter and, as is usual for this type of pink glitter, it doesn't look so hot. I figured the polish wasn't going to be opaque so I might as well have a bit of contrast going by putting it over a dark polish, right? (Wrong.) Turns out, Inspire was even more sparse than anticipated: the above is three coats and the Rock Solid is still very visible. 

Closeup of the mess


Color Club Smash Hit over LA Girl Glitter Addict Inspire and Orly Rock Solid 

Having NOT learned my lesson -- and now having the double disincentive of removing a dark polish AND glitter -- I decided that I might as well layer on a polish that was sent to me by Color Club: Smash Hit, a black crackle. And I actually liked it better with the crackle than without. Still and all, it was pretty damn fug. 

Closeup of the coup de grace...
At this point, I had eleven layers of polish on my nails (bc, 3 Rock Solid, tc, 3 Inspire, tc, Smash Hit, tc). Well, this was just ridiculous. And kind of very unattractive. After I took this photo, I waited for the entire thing to dry and then peeled off the monstrosity off of all ten nails. (I know, I know. Gross. When you have that much polish on, once dry, it really just pops off with a little nudge.) Would it have been easier to just remove Rock Solid when I realized that I didn't like it? Probably. 






Like this? Click below to let us know!

18 comments:

Unknown said...

i feel your pain! Rock Solid was a real let down for me too, wish i'd gotten ChG Some Like It Haute instead! gotta love a good polish peel though!!

Marias Nail Art said...

LOL, I love this story, 10 layers, woow :)

Kristi said...

XD XD

I'm having a similar polish moment right now. I was trying a new nude polish, discovered it looked horrible with my skin tone, decided to "save" it by adding a glitter gradient...

Utter fail.

Second attempt at "saving" the mess was a crackle polish on top, and now when I have to face the fact this didn't work either... I need to deal with the removal. :P

yummy411 said...

i didn't have a let down from my polishes, but my current mani is glitter addicted. across the universe with some la glitter on the outer nail to accent. LOVE

Unknown said...

I JUST posted about how disappointed in Rock Solid I am. The bottle is gorgeous but it was just so bad on the nail.

Good for you for really going for it! hahaha.

Angie said...

This post cracks me up....this is the story of my life! I can never leave well enough alone!! lol

sabbatha said...

mhehe ugly :D

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

From my past experiences I feel like black glitter polishes are never satisfying to put on! They always look really nice in the bottle but after I try it I'm like...meh.

beachgal said...

I too was enchanted with Rock Solid in the bottle. I think last time I wore it, I tossed some Nubar 2010 or one of the Finger Paint flakies on it. You took yours a ton further than I did. Where are all those beautiful holo big glitter pieces that we see in the bottle? I think you are right - the black glitter eats them. Wow...you need to soak your fingers in dishes of pure acetone to get all this stuff off! Reminds me, I need to go to the fabric store to get more felt. It really does help get the glitter (and flakies off - those new Zoya flakies are so sticky, they take some scrubbing too esp when you put 3-4 coats on like I did this past week!

Lucy said...

Now that was just plain darn crazy! Didn't care for the crackle polish. Did like the second manicure. I've done the same thing. After I've finished with my mess I thought why didn't I just take off the first coat? We are all just crazy! Hope you treated you nails to some good cuticle creme. Maybe a nice soak in some warm olive oil. No more peeling off the polish!

I Drink Nail Polish said...

LMAO, sorry...can't help it! You wrote this so funny! XD I am totally seeing that heck ton of awesome sparkly holo goodness in the bottle, especially in the second photo. But where is it on the nail? *squints* *also only sees grit* And then there was the "Closeup of the mess", oh noes! >.< They aren't playing nice together.

But, at least you gave it a go! And at least you wrote this funny post because I totally needed a good giggle and a smile. I am such a wuss - I totally test run all my layerings on nail wheels. Though I started doing that after I was traumatized by a most epic of fails. Bright @ss skittles each topped with a different glitter. It looked like rainbow vomit. But for reals. And totally not in a good way. It looked like someone ate a bowl of Lucky Charms, swallowed a bunch of M&M's whole, and then chugged a gallon of strawberry milk made with way too much Strawberry Quik...and then puked. On my nails. Yeah. Not pretty. :/

But there is always tomorrow! And acetone! And more untrieds! :)

Marisa said...

LOL!! That was a very interesting combo!!

Jessica said...

This is funny, and it's nice to see that I'm not the only one who has put myself into a similar nail polish disaster. I still pick up Orly Rock Solid when I see it and wonder if I should get it. I notice that the new OPI Nicki Minaj collection has a similar ish color called Metallic 4 Life. Do you think or know that Metallic 4 Life might be an improved version of Rock Solid?

Anna said...

Rock Solid looks a lot like the Kardashian Kolors' "Follow Me On Glitter." I swatched it today if anyone wants to see. Lots of dense charcoal glitters lately. http://glittershewrote.com/2012/02/06/swatched-kardashian-kolors-follow-me-on-glitter/

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who does this... For some reason, I always think I can fix it with more rather than just starting over. :)

Elaine said...

Flinty<
We all have been in the position where we want to save a mani, but I don't kno how many go to that extreme! LOL! You are too much, girl!

flinty said...

Hahaha, I'm glad you all enjoyed the post. I was afraid I'd be stoned for posting such fugly nail polish!! :D

Related Posts with Thumbnails