Thursday, July 5, 2012

Having a go at gradients





This is my first go at a gradient manicure. For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to pick a colour - marine green/bright teal - that doesn't photograph well. So you'll have to imagine this 'tip' colour as much more saturated and awesome and therefore the gradient as much more visible and contrasty.

I used the nailsaurus' tutorial (if you don't read her blog, you should, it's awesome) and a piece of kitchen sponge. In future I'd use a better/less hole-y sponge because I think the texture is a bit too obvious. I used Ilamasqua Nudge as the base with Nails Inc Warwick Way for the gradient. I only used two coats of Nudge for the base when really, it needed three (I assumed the sponging would cover up any gaps, but it didn't really). Overall I was pleased and I'll definitely try it again - although it does use quite a lot of polish so I think I'll stick with shades I don't mind using up!

Like this? Click below to let us know!

5 comments:

keijtieloves said...

wow, your nails are amazing :)

Sexcgirl77 said...

I use a makeup wedge for mine... it works great!

Elaine said...

Looks great! Something else on my list of things to try..
:-)

Katie said...

Try wetting the sponge a little. I thought that too, but making the sponge damp really helps saving polish!

Emma said...

Great color choices, looks really fresh! I also recommend wetting the sponge so it doesn't suck up all the polishes. I use a dense make-up sponge which also helps saving polishes. You nails are so incredibly long that you could easily use 3-4 polishes at once, that really pumps up the gradient effect! Here's my much shorter nails w/ 3 polish gradients if you want to take a look:
http://wastinglifestyle.fi/?p=38
http://wastinglifestyle.fi/?p=57

(Posts are in finnish but there's a translation part at the end of each post. )
Thanks for your awesome blog, I'm totally hooked and thanks to you folks my nail polish collection is expanding exponentially... :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails