Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Gold and purple all-over-the-place nail art explosion


Alanna of Pretty Purple Polish recently celebrated her first blogiversary by holding a nail art competition with a purple theme. She was one of my first followers and co-created Artsy Wednesday with me, and has really nice swatches and is generally all-round lovely.

For my entry, I decided to showcase a bunch of my favourite purples. I have a lot of purple polishes! I also had some big iridescent hex glitters, so I decided to explore a number of different nail art techniques on my nails. I only had 3 nail designs in total, because... I'm lazy :(


Thumb and ring finger: China Glaze LOL (Alanna grabbed this HTF for me from the mythical Bankstown nail supply shop - told you she's lovely! :D), glitter gradient with Essence Make It Golden, applied with a Q-tip

Index and pinky: These nails were the first I came up with. I wanted it to look like mermaid scales. The base is ulta3 Berry sponged over Rimmel Lively Lilac, then stamped with Mash-39 in ulta3 Gold Rush Fever and mattified with Rimmel Lycra Pro Mattifying Topcoat. I then stuck on hexes with clear polish.

Middle finger: one of my favourite but time-consuming and hard-to-get-right techniques - drag/needle marbling. I painted the entire nail with a thick coat of ulta3 Orchid, spotted some Gold Rush Fever on top, then dragged loops in the polish with the needle of a compass. Finished with Rimmel Mattifying.

For everyday wearing this felt over-the-top, but I think each of these would make good manis on their own, and I'll probably revisit them. What do you think?

Like this? Click below to let us know!

11 comments:

Andrea said...

Awesome, I love purple! Especially the needle marbling is really nice.

Isis04 said...

Absolute gorgeousness! I love purple---I may have been royalty in a former life, LOL! ^^

Unknown said...

Love it! And your big hexes are almost the size of the scales. Gorgeous!

The Lacquer Tracker said...

Wow! This is so beautiful- you're incredibly talented to pull this off! I love it. :)

Sia said...

Oh wow, how amazing

Lindsey R said...

Those are some cool designs! I think my faves are index and middle!

Unknown said...

Wow amazing! Scales remind me of rainbow fish...I must try that!! Or maybe you should do it because you might do a better job :P

Lipsticky said...

My favourite purple shade is Do you Lilac It, OPI! Your nail art is beautiful:)

Unknown said...

I love it! I do think it'd be a lot for every day but for fun or a night out it might be fun albeit time consuming ;)

Pink_Diamond said...

waw...zour nails are just awesome....and I love the color

k said...

Wow...this is amazing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails