Sunday, December 13, 2009

Zoya Matte Velvet Winter 2009


Hello everyone! Today I have the Zoya Matte Velvet Winter 2009 collection to share with you! It has been out for a few months now, but I recently got them when Zoya had a three free nail polish promotion going on a while back. I haven't really jumped on the bandwagon for the matte trend, but I do find them interesting. The only other mattes I have in my stash are the old Maybelline mattes, these Zoya mattes, and a Nubar V for Men matte top coat. I don't even have any of the real matte top coats that came out recently! I wasn't sure about matte polishes because I was scared they'd look awful on me and wouldn't last since you're not supposed to use a top coat on them. When I saw swatches of these though, I was totally blown away and knew I had to try them out!!! Check them out >>>

These Zoya Mattes are different from the other mattes on the market. They aren't a stark chalky matte and they are loaded with shimmer that totally come alive when you put a top coat over it.

Zoya Matte Veruschka


without top coat


with a top coat

First up is my favorite out of the three, Veruschka. A totally awesome emerald green matte. I wore Veruschka for two days without a top coat and was surprised at how well it held up. You're not supposed to put a top coat on mattes so they can be matte, kind of defeats the purpose if you put on a top coat, obvious right? On the third day I put on a shiny top coat and you can see in the photo that there is some tip wear. I felt so chic wearing it matte, a few sales people at the mall even complimented it! And then I put the top coat on it, I was just blown away at how gorgeous the shimmer in it is.

Zoya Matte Harlow


I know this isn't the best picture of Harlow, but this is all I could manage on a rainy day. Harlow is a fuchsia matte, also loaded with shimmer that came alive with a top coat on. I didn't wear it fully shiny, instead I tried to do some fun texture differences on the nail. The pinky is the only one that is still fully matte. I'll have to wear these mattes again sometime and do a sort of funky french with top coat on the tips only and the rest matte. Really really cool!!

Zoya Matte Savita

without top coat


with a top coat

And lastly Savita, a violet with pink shimmer!!!!! Even matte I could see the pink shimmer in this beauty. Can this be any prettier?? Seriously!! This reminded me a little bit of Milani Totally Cool, except that it isn't jelly and is missing the orange shimmer. Regardless, this is a stunning polish all in its own right.

Overall, these Zoya mattes are awesome and I am so glad that I got them! They were all perfect in two coats. I'm sure I could have gotten away with one if I was more careful, they have great coverage! They didn't chip for me, but after two days I did start to get tip wear when they were matte. This is probably because I used a base coat before I put these on, but I did wait for the base coat to fully dry before putting the matte polish on and I had no problems with application. They did take a while to dry though, when I used the matte polish alone, it took about 30 minutes for it to fully dry!! Really long, but I wasn't doing anything when I put these on so if you're looking for a quick mani, don't choose these! I'm not sure if you use a quick dry top coat on them it will speed it up because when I put top coat on a fully dry mani. With or without shiny top coat, these are beautiful and so so fun! And you know what? The frosted bottles are definitely cool too!

What do you think about matte polish? Yay or nay? Why do you like them? Or why do you stay away from them?


Like this? Click below to let us know!

8 comments:

nihrida said...

First thing: Your nails are GORGEOUS!
I like matte polish, but I don't buy them like crazy. I have ManGlaze and Essie Matte About You...That's enough for me. I like this matte trend but I don't wear matte top coat too often. I feel like it'll chip sooner.

Paige said...

I think that these look best with a topcoat!

Lucy said...

I own all three. I haven't tried them yet. The green is my favorite. I love them matte best. They do look fantastic shiny. Your nails are beautiful with the matte polish on them.

augusta said...

i was thinking of passing on these, but i think i'm gonna end up buying the green one. maybe the purple one as well. i love them with a topcoat.

Unknown said...

amazing pictures on a beautiful set of nails!! i really love the green. thanks for posting these :)

Jennifer said...

Wow, your nails are gorgeous!!! I like the way your ring finger turned out using the topcoat on Harlow.

I have some of the old Maybelline mattes I got from Dollar tree. I also have Zoya Dovima and I just bought China glaze's Matte magic. So far I've been mattifying everything, I may need to buy another bottle!

Hello Adrienne said...

ty everyone! I like these mattes more than I expected!

@Lucy, what are you waiting for?!? Please report back how you feel about them once you've tried them :)

@augusta, I had been eyeing them for a while, and finally got them at the last 3free zoya promo (i'm cheap)

@Jennifer, I'm glad youre loving the matte trend!! Maybe try Essie Matte about you top coat since I recall that China glaze matte magic is smaller

Diane said...

I'm wearing Verushka right now too, with a topcoat. I left it matte for three days and then tried to see if I could prolong it a bit, and holy cow! The shimmer is mind-blowing with a topcoat on.

Related Posts with Thumbnails