Monday, March 15, 2010

Essie Wicked - the anti-Spring


It's that time of year where it's sort of in-between seasons. The sun is starting to come out, but it's often overcast. Some college girls are wearing flip-flops and mini skirts, some are wearing pea coats. I can't wait for the spring weather - I'm one of those people who is always cold - but one of the things I hate about spring is the fashion. I look like a moron in large floral prints and pastels - like a 5 year-old playing dress-up in mommy's closet, and the unstructured loosey-goosey construction that is the hallmark of spring fashion is just so. darn. unflattering. Fall fashion is what I get really excited about - the great new seam-lines, the darker colours, the chunky knits, the figure flattering belts, the sexy boots. Mmmm...

So consider this my rebellion! I may be wearing a light trench coat, but damnit I'm going to rock a vampy at least one more time before flip-flop season begins in earnest!

Essie Wicked:




Wicked is one of those almost-black colours that not many people seem to like anymore, but hey I do. It is the darkest dark burgundy. You can see the base colour better when you're applying the first coat. The overall effect is fairly bold, and very sexy. The application on this one was a little lacking though. It has a bit of a jelly texture, which is quite nice in the finished result, but makes it go on really streaky. You can't tell from the pic, but even after 2 fairly thick and artfully (in my opinion - hey, I tried...) applied coats, it is still a hot streaky mess under all that. Now no one is going to be able to tell - I can only tell if I hold my hand directly under a full spectrum light and squint, but it still bugs me. The precision wasn't affected by the formula - I needed very little clean-up and that is great because dark colours are harder to clean up, but I think this would have been more successful as a creme.

Regardless, it will remain a staple in my collection. Chanel Rouge Noir is almost identical, but chips horribly on me. For me, Essie is the unsung hero of lasting power.

In general, I try to just wear what I like and buck the trends, but honestly when the sun is shining, I'm wearing light-weight clothing, and flowers are in bloom, there aren't that many moments when I feel like reaching for my vampies. Today, I just felt like I needed a little rebellion for the in-between time - take that spring! - and then I'll have to wait patiently for fall to come around again. Unless the vampy mood strikes. ;)

What do you think? Do you wear different polish for different seasons?

kittytokaren


Like this? Click below to let us know!

15 comments:

mKat said...

I typically wear what I like, when I like...regardless of the season. I'd probably wear white after labour day, too. :P I'm more drawn to vampy colours (or rich colours in general) than I am to pastels so this resonates far better with me than any "spring" colour might.

And I totally feel you about being perpetually cold. I have that problem. I'm always out and I see girls dressed so nicely in skirts and boots and lovely coats... and I WANT to do that but I'm shivering before I leave the house so back into sweats and jeans and 15 layers I go.

Sucks!

Linen and Silk said...

I wear what I like. I wear darks quite often, and a sparkly black (OPI Baby it's Coal Outside) is my go-to in that mood. I'm not fond of pastels; my (small) collection has more jewel tones, holos, and attention-getters. I'm not a trend follower either.

Me, I'm hot most of the time. :)

Heidi said...

I like vampy colors any time of the year. Surprisingly, at least to me, I'm really into this spring's pastels (but that's probably because I've passed them up for the last couple of years. I usually tend to wear dark or bold colors, but it seems like I'm always a season or two behind.

kittytokaren said...

@mKat - Ugh that labour day rule is so outdated!!! I'm into both - pastels and vampies. The cold thing is terrible!! I don't know how people prance around in the cold in almost nothing and live. I'd end up shivering in a gutter!!

@Linen and Silk - Baby It's Coal Outside is gorgeous!! And maybe you're a trend SETTER and not a follower! Heck, I'd love to follow your trend of being warm!

@Heidi - I think some of this spring's pastels are bolder than they have been in the past. I'm really liking a lot of them (like Lucky Lucky Lavender!) and I'm excited to wear them - I just need a reprieve before I acknowledge that spring is actually here. And you're not a season behind - wearing what you want and looks good on you is always cool.

kittytokaren

Linen and Silk said...

@kittytokaren - Unfortunately, I think the hot thing is hormone related... :) And I hope that I am finally becoming a trendsetter! I've followed others way too much in my life!

mKat said...

@kitty... I too would love to be warm. But alas, body chemistry has gotten the best of me. (Bonus though... I can annoy my perpetually hot bf with my icicle appendages!)

Ice Queen said...

I wear whatever I am in the mood for. Regardless of the season. Rock your vamp, if it stirs you. :D

kittytokaren said...

@mKat - Hahaha my hubs is also tortured by my cold appendages! He now makes sure to have extra blankets when I'm around. :)

@Ice Queen - I will! :)

Jenny$1983 said...

Heh heh, I'm with Ice Queen! And I think vampies look great on your nails so you should wear them as often as you want :)

Fiona M said...

I like dark colors year round, but don't like spring colors (pastels) in winter. I've been wearing a lot of dark colors recently as well for some reason - orly glam rock and opi my private jets are my current favorites

kittytokaren said...

@Jenny - Thank you!! I really do like vampies...

@scarlettholly - You and I are the opposite - I will sometimes be in a really pastel mood in winter! Maybe this year will be different and I'll rock the dark colours year round! BTW great choices for polish!

Arrianne said...

I wear what I want when I want. I like darker colors, but sometimes they smother me and I need something colorful/glittery/etc. I'm always hot, I'm everyone who knows me's portable heater when they're cold.

Anonymous said...

I love vampies and dark colors. Most pastels and brights look pretty bad on me, but darker colors look fantastic.

I am always cold, too! I am trying out some of Claire's Mood polishes right now, and they aren't really changing color, haha. Ah, well, washing my hands is fun, at least!

Paige said...

Love this color!!!

kellie said...

I'm wearing this right now .. in July. I don't base my polish colors on what season it is. I wear whatever it is I'm in the mood for. And today, it was VAMPY! I love this color. <3

Related Posts with Thumbnails