Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A mani that just makes me grimace: OPI Creme de Menthe


I wanted this polish SO BAD. I don't have that many HTF lemmings but this is one polish that I just lusted after continuously. The only place I had seen it was eBay for a little less than $40 at Buy It Now. But after months and months and MONTHS of wanting this polish, I decided one night that, to hell with it, I want the polish and I've wanted it for about a year so I'm gonna get it and it's gonna be mine and I don't care what it costs!

So I encouraged eBay scalpers by paying nearly $40 for an old OPI. And now I'm regretting it. See, if it had cost $20, it might've been okay. But for $40 -- the most I've ever paid for a polish -- it had better be all that and a bag of chips. And it wasn't! Lesson learned: never overpay for an HTF again. :( It's not that I don't like this polish: it's simply not worth the amount of money I paid for it.

OPI Creme de Menthe


It's still a pretty polish. It's the color of a grasshopper cocktail with a healthy dose of gold shimmer. But it took four coats to get it to the above opacity... and there's still VNL. It applied sheerly, unevenly and... it feels frosty. I know it's weird to call a polish that doesn't have silver shimmer it "frosty" but it is kinda frosty. And I also hate my mani: the gap is larger than I usually like it to be. (I went a little overboard with the brush and acetone.) Looking at this post is making me cringe: a mani that I don't like with a color that I wasted my money on.


Like this? Click below to let us know!

14 comments:

jaljen said...

I sympathise, I really do.
I have found that the more I want it and the more I pay the more disappointed I generally am.
Classic case of over-promise and under-deliver. Expectations too high.
You could resell it on ebay and recoup some of your money. That's what I do when polishes don't wow me.....

Stephanie said...

Bummer :( But hey, if you really dislike it you can always toss it over my way ;)

Crystaliciousss said...

oh poor you....:( nothing worse than overspending....

but i still think it is a totally fabulous color...

NY*NAIL*DIVA said...

LOL @ STEPHANIE, TRY IT AGAIN IN A FEW DAYS, MAYBE IT WILL GROW ON YOU!

Chicky

said...

Aw that's such a shame! I love this colour and I've been lemming it for ages too. Maybe try layering it over another green?

Bunny Masseuse said...

I dunno, I'm digging... it's beautiful!

Michèle said...

Haha I so feel you, I have this on my wishlist too, but I'm holding back :'). However, I love this color on you, the shimmer is divine!

PolishPig said...

I bought this from e-bay too, not paying $40 but not cheap either.
I have not tried it yet but the beautiful bottle color makes it kind of worth owning anyway. Then again, I'm really a crazy hoarder..

mKat said...

So I have what is possibly a really dumb question (especially given the fact that I contribute to this blog) but how do you accomplish the gap at the cuticles (and why do you prefer it?) I guess that's two dumb questions.

I've never tried to do it, but I can see the benefit of not getting stuff all over your cuticles (though I'd get stuff all over my cuticles in the removal process anyway).

ShortAndSweetNails said...

Awww :(
I really love this polish and I wanted it for the longest time. I finally also got it off Ebay. I still love it though and am happy with it though IDK if I would be if I had paid $40!

Maybe if you layer it over something?!

Jackie S. said...

That sucks! But it is very pretty on your hands, maybe it can work for Stamping??

Arrianne said...

Yikes, 40 bucks. I couldn't imagine spending that much, especially for a not that great color. Sometimes I make my gap too big and it is frustrating. I like it on you though for some reason.

Lissi said...

WoW! And I thought $12.50 for Nfu-Oh or $18 for RBL was a lot. I'm sorry you weren't fully content with the price paid. I can only imagine how you feel. But it is a really nice green. I've liked that color for a while.

LizKS48 said...

I love it and if I had $40 to get it I would get it. I don't mind adding layers. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails