Sunday, April 10, 2011

China Glaze crackles - crushed candy and lightning bolt


Hello! My first post here. Thank you for having me on board, I look forward to posting reams of manicure pictures and exciting all the lovely readers rather than boring all my lovely colleagues.

My early efforts with crackle polishes were, frankly, pretty grim. I tried painting it thinly, which just made it look patchy, speckly and weird. I kept trying colour combinations that seemed great in my head (navy and white, how can that go wrong?) but which looked like I'd done myself some kind of grievous injury in practice. I nearly gave up. But then I tried painting thick coats and picking complementary base colours, and now I'm quite pleased with the effect. The finish makes me think of duck eggs for some reason.

China Glaze crushed candy over Essie playa del platinum

China Glaze lightning bolt over OPI hot & spicy

The only thing I am not loving about the crackles is my total inability to apply them neatly. My only objective is getting it on thick and quick before it starts to crack. As a result it usually ends up all over my fingers. My 'swatch hand' isn't too bad, but the reason I didn't take any pictures of my dominant right hand is that it's flecked with bits of white crackle everywhere (in some frankly improbable places) and I expect my colleagues will be asking me tomorrow whether I’ve been repainting my bathroom.

Looking forward to the OPI and Models Own releases later on in the summer to try some different colours – orange, navy and turquoise are high on my list of current wants!

Like this? Click below to let us know!

5 comments:

Adrianna said...

I really like these two color combos, excited to see more posts from you.

Jen said...

I love the second one! :D

grace said...

ooooh i love the white, i haven't used mine yet because i can't get it to crackle enough on a swatch wheel but it looks awesome on you!! looking forward to more posts from you!!

Grace Thomas said...

Thank you for the encouragement!

Lucy said...

Welcome and look forward to your posts. Love both manicures. One of these days I'll find the crackle polish and try it. Reminds me of Easter eggs.

Related Posts with Thumbnails