Saturday, August 13, 2011

Pinky Perplexity - Essie Lion Around


Remember how I went on my Hunt for Red (by) October last year? I may have to consider doing the same thing to find my perfect pink - opaque, not too sugary sweet, but not too fleshy either. This came close, but didn't hit the mark...and it's driving me bananas. (B-A-N-A-N-A-S.) I think the winner might have been Chanel Mistral, but I missed out on that one. :(

Essie Lion Around is from this year's Resort collection, and I wasn't planning on picking it up. I was quite happy with my picks - Da Bush and Your Hut or Mine. However, I was in Ulta one night, and through a complicated issue with returns and coupons, it somehow managed to work out such that they paid me to take it out of the store...yeah...I'm still looking over the receipts on this one. It was the one polish that spoke to me in that 15 seconds I had to decide!


I actually expected to hate the finish of this polish...and I do. But not as much as I thought I would. It isn't apparent in my photo, but there is subtle pearly shimmer in the polish, giving it a satin appearance on the nail. I don't know why, but somehow the combo of that finish and this particular colour makes me feel queasy - like when I think of pork that is a few days expired. The effect isn't as strong as I anticipated though, so that's good.

What I was genuinely surprised by was the colour - it was much peachier on me than I expected! I'm not sure why I thought it would be cooler-toned. I normally like a little peachiness in my pinks - it keeps them from being overly saccharine - but the orange-y yellow tones in this are a little strong and kind of...blends...with my yellow-toned skin a little too well.

In the end I don't totally hate this polish - I appreciate it not as my perfect pink, just for what it is. I like that it's a pink that isn't 4-year-old-with-a-My-Little-Pony pink. (Although MLP is pretty kickass. I had one when I was a kid. I called it "Balls". I kid you not. How my parents kept a straight face I will never know.) However, I don't think I'll be keeping it. I'm trying not to keep polishes I'm not excited to wear!

Any suggestions for my perfect pink? Would you like to see a pink "Hunt"?

kittytokaren


Like this? Click below to let us know!

10 comments:

Rach said...

Yes! You should do a "prowl for the perfect pink" series (I like alliteration, haha). I think this looks nice on you and the finish is quite pretty -- I'd never be able to pull it off, though!

I had a MLP knockoff from the Dollar Tree ... her name was Strawberry Meagan. "Balls" is WAY more epic, though! LOL.

Courtney said...

LMAO @ "Balls"...that is AWESOME!

I feel your pain on pale pinks. I've just about given up on them entirely. My skin tone is very similar to yours in that it's got heavy yellow undertones. But sometimes it almost seems cool-toned. It's weird. But it makes finding pale pinks that work for me REALLY hard.

I'd LOVE to see a hunt-for-pink type series! Might help me find something that would work for me too! :-)

Laura said...

I love the way it looks on you! And Balls, wow. That's hilarious.

Alison said...

I'd love to see a pink hunt!

I wasn't so keen on Mistral in the bottle it has a lovely muti-coloured microglitter which sadly does not translate to the nail and it's sheerer that I expected too. I much prefered the colour and finish of Morning Rose - that one is super pretty.

greeneyespinknails said...

I've been on the same quest for such a long time! I tend to prefer the peachier fleshy pink lacquers as they are less Barbiesque as the cool toned and whitish pinks (I'm thinking Mod about you, Fiji, Something sweet, Go go pink etc.)
Have you tried the following?:
OPI: Malaysian Mist (peachy pink), Hopelessly in love (peachy pink)?

Barilla said...

I'm only slightly less interested in seeing a hunt for the perfect pink than I am in seeing your Balls.

beachgal said...

It's kind of a peach/mauve vs a in your face pink. But then I love pinks (all but the really baby pinks. I like ones that have mauve or lavender to them and adore ones that hit the fuchsia range. But I don't think of fuchsia for BC Awareness month. Remember too - teal shades for Sept - Ovarian Cancer needs a ton of awareness. Lost my mom to it when she was only 45. It's such a silent killer.
You might like Lion Around as well from this collection (Essie Resort 2011) as another pink options for you. Many say it's really similar to the new fall OPI My Address is Hollywood only 'Hut' has a little less bright pink to it - more dusky and also a tish more shimmer. I really like that one and am planning on wearing that a lot in Sept.

Lucy said...

I'd love to see a search for the perfect pink. This is a nice pink. Sort of a fleshy tone to me. I like a warmer toned pink.

♥beauxs mom said...

My all time fav pink is orly elizabeths rose you should try it I've gotten two of my family members addicted to it! Im also really liking sinful colors soul mate.

kittytokaren said...

@Rach - I like the title suggestion! I'm a fan of alliteration as well :)

@Courtney - I'm so glad someone else can sympathize with the pink thing!! Your skin does sound similar to mine...you haven't found anything that works??

@Laura - Thanks! And I really don't have any idea how my parents held it together!

@Alison - Morning Rose seemed darker than I wanted...plus it was sold out everywhere! LOL!

@greeneyespinknails - Yeah I've tried those...they make my hands look dirty :(

@Barilla - Hahahaha! I gave Balls away a long time ago :)

@Sia - Thanks!

@beachgal - LOL! This *is* Lion Around!! And thanks for the heads up - I will try to do a teal mani for september! I dont have many teals though...

@Lucy - I like a warmer toned pink as well - I'm not exactly sure what turns me off about this one.

@beauxs mom - I will check that one out!

k2k

Related Posts with Thumbnails