Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Fingernails that shine like justice!


Hello readers of Polish or Perish!

As flinty posted the other day, I'm the new PoP blogger! Like the other lovely ladies, I am also a graduate student (aka I'm cheap slave labour). I work in a lab 24/7 using noxious chemicals, snapping things open, doing fiddly things with my hands and dousing them in alcohol. I consider myself a rigorous testing ground for polish wear! I'm really excited to be part of this and I hope you guys don't mind me sharing my nail polish choices/manis with you!

A couple (polish-related) things about me:

1.) I don't change my polish every day unless extremely inspired/disgusted by a polish. I'm more of a 4-day wear kind of person.
2.) I keep a small stash - I swap or give away polishes to friends that I am not completely in love with, so everything in my 'core collection' is near and dear to me!
3.) My dirty secrets: I generally don't like green polish (RBL Orbis Non Sufficit is the exception), and I am not really a glitter/holo/duo person.

Now that the entire polish blogger community is ready to maroon me on a dark lonely island somewhere, let's get to some polish!

I thought that the very best way for you to get to know me was by my polish. Not to sound cheesy, but colour is a huge reflection of and influence on how you act and feel. And this polish probably represents my personality better than any other in my collection. She wasn't much loved by the polish community, but she is definitely one of my favourites. In fact, I've never had a back-up of a polish and I kind of want one of this! Without further ado, I give you: Essie Plumski!




What I love about this one is that not only is it my favourite shade of Tyrian purple (my fav Dooney & Bourke handbag is this colour, as well as my cellphone) but the finish is right up my alley - it's like a creme with a bit of jelly thrown in for fun! The application is fairly decent - requires 3 coats to make me happy, but that's the price I pay for having it be a bit jelly-ish and squishy looking. I also apply very thin coats. This colour makes me feel powerful and comfortable in my own skin - it's vampy but not too sexy, dark but definitely not black, not purple, not pink, not red - just perfect.

Essie Plumski was a Fall 2008 Ulta exclusive unfortunately, and I didn't want to show just you a polish you couldn't get! (I heard someone had seen some at their Ulta, but I've been looking for another bottle and found zilch.) So here is a quick comparison of Essie Plumski with NYC Manhattan (which I received from the lovely kelsea of kelsealaurel - hi, friend!) and OPI Louvre Me, Louvre Me Not.


Index: Plumski; Middle: Manhattan; Ring: Louvre Me, Louvre Me Not; Pinkie: Plumski.

The differences/similarities might be easier to see in the bottle pic:




Most of you are probably familiar with Louvre Me, Louvre Me Not. These pics don't capture it accurately. It is very different from Plumski because of its pink shimmer, but the base colour is fairly similar in hue, but is lighter. NYC Manhattan is *almost* a dupe! It is perhaps one shade darker - but only by a smidge! Plumski is a drop redder - but only by a drop! Where they really differ is the formula. I've never tried the NYC brand before, but this polish was extremely runny and difficult to manage. It is opaque in 2 coats as opposed to 3, but you don't get the lovely bit of jelly-ness that you do with Plumski.

That being said, I'm definitely hanging onto NYC Manhattan until I find another bottle of Plumski!

Anyways thanks for reading. Future posts will not be this lengthy - don't worry! If you have any questions about me or my polish, please leave a comment!

<3


Like this? Click below to let us know!

18 comments:

Paige said...

That is a gorgeous purple, thanks for sharing things about yourself with us!

Unknown said...

HI friend!!! =P
I love that Essie! I have never heard of the color before, but then again only got into polish late year, great in between shade. I will have to pick up Manhattan, I think that is as close as I am about to get to Plumski.

kittytokaren said...

Hey there! Thanks for commenting on my first ever post!

gildedangel I'm happy to share! I'm sure you'll get to know me better with more posts :) BTW I follow your blog and love it - you have talent, girl!

Oh and Claudia I've heard that Essie Bahama Mama is fairly close to Plumski...I just didn't have it to compare on the nail. I think Bahama Mama might be bit brighter, but that one is available normally (like in the normal stock at Ulta)! Hope this helps! It really is a lovely colour!

< 3
kittytokaren

Michèle said...

How nice to find you here! I hope you'll have a blast with the ladies of PoP :-)

Essie Plumski is a wonderful color!

Hyzenthlay said...

That is a gorgeous color . . . I believe you that the three polishes are different, but I can't see a difference on my screen.

What kind of lab do you work in? That sounds a lot like when I was a Lab Manager in a Plant Cell Bio lab at the local University.

Lucy said...

Plumski is a beautiful polish. I don't have this one. Guess I'll have to get it's poor cousin Manhattan. It looks lovely on you so you'd better find a backup!

Kirsten (The Dutch Nail Blog) said...

Hi! *waves again*

I love that colour on you! Beautiful.

Jacie said...

Fingernails that shine like justice - how I love that Cake song (I'm presuming that's what you're referring to, otherwise I look like an idiot)! Lovely manicure too!

Arrianne said...

*gasps* No holos/glitter/duo/green?!! Blasphemy you speak!

In all seriousness, welcome to the nail blogging community! Glad to add more minions.

kittytokaren said...

For some reason my camera has a difficult time capturing purples - especially purples with red in them! LMLMN is very different from the other two in reality!

JacieO - indeed referring the Cake song - its my theme song ;)

<3<3<3

The Glitterati said...

A vampy jelly lover! I'm ready to embrace you with open arms! Plumski is totally gorgeous, and now that I think of it, I would also like nails that are dark like tinted glass. ;)

Piff said...

Welcome! Great swatches.

kittytokaren said...

Glitterati - YES!!! ;) You rule!

Hey there D:)...thanks for letting me join in the fun!

Anonymous said...

Great comparison swatches!

I'm the same way about changing less often (3 days for me), keeping a smallish stash (around 50) and not being much into glitter/holo (though I love my duos and greens have grown on me)

:)

kelsealaurel said...

Yay!! Welcome to PoP! Aw, I remember when I was your one and only follower =)

Thank you for mentioning my blog! So sweet of you. Glad you like the color of the NP I sent you, but boo on it's crappy application!!

Can't wait to see your next posts!

~Kelsea

mKat said...

Hello and welcome! :)

(Love that colour on you. I can see why it made it onto your list!)

kittytokaren said...

Yay goldenapple! Another not-so-glitter girl!

kelsea my darling I will never forget my first follower on my eensy weensy blog :) i'm so glad you started a fashion blog - you are very 'fashion'!

hi mKat! *waves* glad to be here :)

Unknown said...

I'm so happy that you could join PoP - with 1 more blogger that means even more wonder n/p posts to read! Thanx for the beautiful pics of a very beautiful colour. I would love to hear more about your manicure routine, esp what you do to have your manis last in the environment that you work in.

Related Posts with Thumbnails