Monday, November 26, 2012

OPI Tomorrow Never Dies


Perfection, thy name is shiny violet nail polish!

I can never resist snagging glowy colours for Autumn (Illamasqua Scarab and Viridian being two of my favourites) and so this was instantly on my 'need' list from the Skyfall collection. It really didn't disappoint - like those two, it glows from within with this incredible understated sheen. Beyond gorgeous. The colour is a very inky purple - it's a blurple, really, but a blurple by virtue of the fact that it's purple with a dark blue base. It looks like a deep indigo and some lights, and a screaming purple in others. It's also completely reminded me of my violet obsession - it's probably my favourite colour, but one that doesn't really suit my colouring, so I try to keep it away from my face -  on nails it's perfect.




The only problem I had was that it was a bit tricky to apply. I think it didn't like my base coat (the Illamasqua bog standard one) because the first two coats were sliding everywhere and dragging streaks and gaps. Fortunately the third coat sorted that out, but I'd recommend a grippy ridge filling base coat since I reckon you could probably get away with two coats that way.




I should also apologise for the scraggy cuticles and lack of clean-up - I'm powering away on the PhD at the moment and that, plus teaching, is sucking up all my time. So I'm nearly always applying my polish late at night before work (in this case, at 12.30am in front of the second Harry Potter film) when I can't see what I'm doing. I always intend to clean up up the next morning but when the alarm goes I'm too frazzled to remember! The tribulations of being an academic and a nail blogger... :)

Like this? Click below to let us know!

6 comments:

Rach said...

This looks AMAZING on you! It was the first OPI Skyfall I picked up, and my absolute must-have of the collection. Sorry to hear the formula was crap for you!

Anonymous said...

This polish is also one of my favorites! x

beachgal said...

This one really surprised me when I got it...it's way up there on my list of favs this yr...it does not photo like it looks on the nail - mine is a lot more purple on the nail but still I see a ton of blue in it - but it reminds me of the most amazing shade of a royal velvet robe in some official regalia that we don't see worn much by royals anymore. I have worn the Man With The Golden Gun over this and it's a blow my mind look with that combo...this is seriously one of the top shades in the entire collection...and I was sure I would be calling the glassflecked magenta my top one in this set - it's a close second and I know will wear that one a ton too but I can see going through 2 bottles of this burple. Some said it was really close to the burple in the Halloween China Glaze collection from this yr - I don't have that one so don't know.

beachgal said...

Forgot to add - it might have been your base coat -mine goes on great - I use always, always Orly Nail Armor which is one that has some light beige tint and is a base and ridge filler - I don't have ridges but I swear by this base unless I am wearing some that require the Nfu-oh Aqua base which I guard carefully as I heard the newer version of this is not the same as the older bottles...I tend to only use that latter one with the Nfu-Oh holos and a few other holos that seem to require it. Highly recommend you pick up a bottle of Orly Nail Armor - I have tried maybe 50 base products in my years and now I never am tempted to try anything else..I am set for life and I buy it when it's on sale at Sally's by about 4 -5 bottles at a time. I do use more than 1 coat of it - usually 2 sometimes 3.

Liz said...

I love this color! I didn't have any problems with the formula, so I think it is your base coat.

Marias Nail Art said...

It's amazing!
I have ordered it a few days ago - and funnily enough also Illamasqua Scarab and Viridian...

Related Posts with Thumbnails